What is mobile equipment?
Mobile equipment is any type of machinery that is designed to move from one location to another. This can include construction equipment, agricultural machinery, and even some types of industrial machines. Mobile equipment can be very large and powerful, which is why it’s so important to be careful when working near it. Common incidents from working near mobile equipment can include being struck by or caught between heavy parts.
Types of mobile equipment:
Tips For Working Near Mobile Equipment safely:
- Awareness is the first and most important step. You need to be aware of the potential hazards when working near mobile equipment. Pay attention to where the equipment is and what it’s doing. If you’re not sure about something, ask a supervisor or another worker for help.
- Wear the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when working near mobile equipment. This may include items such as hard hats, safety glasses, and hearing protection.
- Be sure to stay clear of any moving parts on the equipment. This includes the tracks on a bulldozer or excavator. If you’re not sure if something is safe, don’t touch it or go near it.
- Never assume that the operator of the mobile equipment sees you. Always make sure you have eye contact with the operator before crossing in front of or behind the equipment.
- If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to ask a supervisor or another worker for help.
- Never try to quickly run past or try to jump on or off of moving equipment. It’s just not worth the risk.
- If you see someone working near mobile equipment in an unsafe manner, speak up! It could save their life.
What to do in the event of an incident:
- If you are struck by mobile equipment, immediately seek medical attention.
- If you are caught in between moving parts, do not try to free yourself. Turn off the power to the equipment and wait for help.
- If you witness an electrocution, turn off the power and call for medical assistance immediately.
Working near mobile equipment can be dangerous, but by following these safety tips, you can help reduce the risk of an accident.
This Post Is Part Of A Series: 101 Toolbox Topic Ideas For The Construction Industry
Do you struggle to come up with toolbox talk ideas each week to discuss with your workers? Fear no more, Work Safety QLD is here to the rescue with 101 Free Toolbox Talk Ideas for the Construction Industry.