What is preventative maintenance?
Preventative maintenance is the routine servicing of equipment and machinery in order to prevent future breakdowns or failures. In other words, it’s all about taking care of your construction equipment on a regular basis so that it doesn’t break down unexpectedly.
Why is preventative maintenance important for construction?
- Preventative maintenance can help extend the lifespan of your equipment. By regularly servicing your construction equipment, you can keep it running properly for many years to come. This will save you a lot of money in the long run, as you won’t have to constantly replace things.
- Preventative maintenance can help prevent safety hazards. By regularly inspecting your construction equipment, you can identify and fix any potential safety hazards before they cause an accident. This is extremely important, as construction accidents can be very costly – both in terms of property damage and personal injury.
- Preventative maintenance can help improve your construction business’s bottom line. By keeping your equipment in good working condition, you can avoid costly downtime and unexpected repairs. This will ultimately lead to more profit for your construction business.
How can I properly maintain my construction equipment?
- Read the owner’s manual for all construction equipment. This will help you learn how to properly operate and maintain your equipment.
- Inspect your equipment on a regular basis – at least once per month. This will help you identify any potential problems so that you can fix them before they cause major damage.
- Clean your equipment regularly to help prevent corrosion and other damage. You should clean your equipment after every use, and perform a more thorough cleaning on a monthly basis.
- Keep your equipment lubricated to extend its lifespan and prevent costly repairs.
By following these tips, you can properly maintain your construction equipment and avoid costly problems down the road. Preventative maintenance is an important part of any construction business, so don’t neglect it!
This Post Is Part Of A Series: 101 Toolbox Topic Ideas For The Construction Industry
Do you struggle to come up with toolbox talk ideas each week to discuss with your workers? Fear no more, Work Safety QLD is here to the rescue with 101 Free Toolbox Talk Ideas for the Construction Industry.
Subscribe To Our Email Newsletter
Join our free email newsletter to recieve weekly tips, tricks, guides and resources for Work Health and Safety in Queensland. We send free weekly Work Health & Safety templates, resources and information.
Sign up for free today!