The Importance of Organised Storage Areas in the Workplace
In any workplace, it is important to have a system for organising and storing materials. In this blog post, we will discuss the importance of organised storage areas in the workplace and provide some tips on how to achieve this.
Why is it important to have an organised storage area?
When materials are organised and stored in a specific area, it reduces the amount of time employees spend searching for items. This increases productivity as workers can focus on their tasks rather than wasting time looking for supplies. In addition, an organised workplace is generally more presentable and professional-looking. First impressions are important, and potential clients or customers will be impressed by a well-kept workspace.
Tips for a more organised storage area:
- Label all shelves and containers. This makes it easy for employees to know where to find items and also helps to prevent items from being put back in the wrong place.
- Store items according to their frequency of use. Items that are used daily should be easily accessible, while items that are used less often can be stored in a more difficult-to-reach area. This is also a health and safety issue.
- Fire hazards are a big issue in workplaces so make sure that items are stored away from any heat sources and that any flammable materials are stored safely.
- Use boxes to store small items so they don’t get lost.
Storing hazardous chemicals:
- Follow the manufacturer ’s instructions carefully.
- Make sure that chemicals are stored in a cool, dry place away from any heat sources.
- Keep them away from any food or drink as there is a risk of contamination.
- Make sure that the area is well ventilated to avoid any fumes build-up.
Cleaning your storage area:
It is important to regularly clean and declutter storage areas. This will help to prevent the build-up of dust and dirt and will also make it easier to find items when needed.
- If you have a lot of foot traffic, you may need to clean daily or weekly.
- Never just assume someone else is going to take the initiative to do the cleaning. Make sure there is a designated person or rotating roster of people in charge of this task.
- Make sure that all shelves and containers are wiped down to prevent the build-up of dust and dirt. Not only will this help to keep your workplace looking clean and tidy, but it will also reduce the risk of respiratory problems for your employees
By following these tips, you can ensure that your workplace is well organised and running smoothly. An organised workplace is a productive workplace, so it is worth taking the time to implement some simple storage solutions.
Subscribe To Our Email Newsletter
Join our free email newsletter to recieve weekly tips, tricks, guides and resources for Work Health and Safety in Queensland. We send free weekly Work Health & Safety templates, resources and information.
Sign up for free today!