Pressure washing is a great way to clean surfaces, but it can also be dangerous if not done safely. In this blog post, we will cover everything from choosing the right equipment to wearing the right safety gear.
What is a pressure washer used for?
A pressure washer is a machine that uses high-pressure water to clean surfaces. Pressure washers can be used to clean a variety of surfaces, including concrete, brick, stone, siding, and more. Pressure washers are often used to remove dirt, grime, stains, and other debris from surfaces.
Common injuries from pressure washers:
- Cuts and scrapes
- Eye injuries
- Slips, trips, and falls
Tips for Pressure Washing Safely:
- Choosing the right pressure washer is important. You want to make sure that the model you choose is appropriate for the task at hand. If you are unsure, consult a professional.
- When setting up your pressure washer, be sure to read the manual. This will help you understand how to properly set up and operate the machine.
- It is important to always start with the lowest pressure setting when pressure washing. You can gradually increase the pressure if needed, but, if you start too high, you could damage the surface you are cleaning.
- Be sure to keep the nozzle of your pressure washer at least 12 inches away from the surface you are cleaning.
- When pressure washing, always move the nozzle in a side-to-side motion. This will help prevent streaks and ensure that you evenly clean the surface.
- Never point the nozzle directly at someone.
- Be sure to rinse the surface you are cleaning with fresh water after pressure washing. This will remove any leftover soap or chemicals.
- Be sure to turn off the pressure washer and disconnect it from the power source before moving it. This will help prevent accidents.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Pressure Washing:
- Footwear: Wearing the proper footwear is important when pressure washing. Closed-toe shoes or boots are a must. You also want to make sure that you have good traction to avoid slips and falls.
- Gloves: Gloves will protect your hands from cuts and scrapes. They will also help you grip the pressure washer more securely.
- Goggles: Goggles will protect your eyes from the high-pressure water and debris.
- Ear protection: Ear protection is important to help avoid damage to your hearing from the loud noise of the pressure washer.
- Clothing: It is important to wear clothing that covers your skin. Long pants and long sleeves are a good idea. You also want to avoid loose clothing that could get caught in the pressure washer.
Pressure washing can be a great way to clean your home or business. Just be sure to do so safely. Follow these tips and you will be on your way to pressure washing like a pro!
This Post Is Part Of A Series: 101 Toolbox Topic Ideas For The Construction Industry
Do you struggle to come up with toolbox talk ideas each week to discuss with your workers? Fear no more, Work Safety QLD is here to the rescue with 101 Free Toolbox Talk Ideas for the Construction Industry.
Subscribe To Our Email Newsletter
Join our free email newsletter to recieve weekly tips, tricks, guides and resources for Work Health and Safety in Queensland. We send free weekly Work Health & Safety templates, resources and information.
Sign up for free today!