What is a table saw?
A table saw is a powerful woodworking tool that can be used to make a variety of cuts. The blade on a table saw is mounted underneath the table, and it can be raised or lowered to adjust the depth of the cut. Table saws are typically used to rip lumber (cut along the grain), but they can also be used to crosscut (cut across the grain).
How to set up your table saw:
Before you can start using your table saw, you need to set it up properly. First, you need to choose the right blade for the job.
What kind of table saw blade do I need?
- If you are going to be ripping lumber, then you will need a rip blade. These blades have more teeth and are designed to cut along the grain.
- If you are going to be cross-cutting, then you will need a crosscut blade. These blades have fewer teeth and are designed to cut across the grain.
Once you have chosen the right blade, you need to install it on the table saw. Make sure that the blade is installed correctly and that the teeth are facing the right direction. Once the blade is installed, you need to adjust the depth of cut. The depth of cut determines how deep the blade will cut into the material.
How to use a table saw:
Now that your table saw is set up properly, you are ready to make a cut.
- The first step is to measure the material that you are going to be cutting.
- Then, you need to set the fence (the metal guide that runs along the table) to the correct width. Once the fence is in place, you can turn on the table saw and start making your cut.
- When making a cut, always use both hands to hold the material. The first hand should be holding the material tight against the fence. The second hand should be holding the material tight against the table. This will help to keep the material from moving and will give you more control over the cut.
How to avoid accidents when using a table saw:
- ALWAYS use a push stick or a feather board when making a cut. This will help to keep your hands away from the blade.
- NEVER try to reach around the blade to make a cut. The blade is very sharp and you could easily get injured.
- ALWAYS wear safety goggles when using the table saw. The dust and debris from the saw can be dangerous if it gets in your eyes.
- NEVER leave the table saw running unattended. Turn it off and unplug it whenever you are not using it.
- ALWAYS keep your work area clean and clutter free.
- NEVER wear loose clothing or jewellery that could get caught in the blade.
By following these tips, you can safely use your table saw and avoid accidents. Just take your time, be careful, and always use the proper safety equipment.
Subscribe To Our Email Newsletter
Join our free email newsletter to recieve weekly tips, tricks, guides and resources for Work Health and Safety in Queensland. We send free weekly Work Health & Safety templates, resources and information.
Sign up for free today!